Thursday, May 22, 2014

Cricket Makes Compost Cakes

Before                                           Our wonderful Cricket now.
One of the smaller fairies to join my garden community is named Cricket. She keeps the garden tidy. Cricket likes to fly around the garden gathering plant debris. She makes neat little piles by layering dead plant material and soil. When I see a pile, I dig a hole next to it about 10 inches deep by 10 inches wide. Cricket returns to fill the hole and create a small hill of plant waste. When I see a the little mound encircled with sticks and stones, fresh flowers petals and a bit of fairy dust on the top, I know she has moved on to the next one.  I call these fancy compost piles "Cricket Cakes." Over the next few weeks the piles slowly decay and become sweet compost. Cricket thinks of herself as a self taught chef of plant food.




Cricket Cakes can be found around the garden.



Cricket and I have been working many longs hours to tidy up the garden. The gardener that lived here before me had a more natural and untouched style of gardening. I love that gardening is such an individual thing. No two gardeners are completely on the same page. We each have our own style and that's the way it should be! The gardener before me had a large compost bin in the corner of the garden. Thank you! I used this to fill my new raised garden beds that Twigs and I just completed.

As I strive to make this MY garden, the fairies are working along side me. I am a very blessed woman!

No comments:

Post a Comment